8 Ways To Check The Health Of Your Tires
Tires Health: During the operation of any vehicle, it is necessary to check the tire tread condition systematically. Thanks to the constant monitoring of all tire characteristics, it is possible to timely identify severe malfunctions of the car’s chassis, which may require the involvement of specialists or professionals for lack of a better word – to eliminate them. Self-inspection of tires should be carried out approximately every four weeks. Also, control of their condition should be carried out in preparation for each long trip and after it.
What To Look For When Examining The Health Of Your Tires
- The appearance of wear indicators on the tread: These are clearly defined bars made of harder rubber. Their appearance indicates that the tire has reached a certain wear threshold. As a rule, the manufacturer marks the corresponding decoding on the product’s sidewall, according to which you can decide whether to replace the tires.
- Treadwear can also be assessed using the tire depth gauge. Per European regulations, the tread depth on the entire wheel must not exceed 1.6 mm. Some manufacturers set specific parameters for their products. So, in winter tires, the tread depth must be at least 4 mm. To control the tires compliance with the established standards, the specialist auto repair shops recommend that car owners purchase the simplest tread depth gauge. In this case, you should take measurements on both sides of the tread (outer and inner).
- Small objects are falling into the tread cells. If you find gravel, stones and other small debris in the tire tread, carefully remove it. The presence of a nail, piece of reinforcement, etc. directly in the rubber indicates that you will have to pay a visit to the nearest tire shop. It would be best if you did not try to remove such an object on your own since the tire will most likely be flat and you will not be able to get to the service station on it.
- Outer tire wear may indicate insufficient tire pressure. Of course, there are norms for the natural loss of air. Meanwhile, One should bear in mind that the tires’ lack of tension entails some negative points (loss of stability of the car, increased fuel consumption). One must monitor this tire parameter constantly. Wear on the outside of the front tires may indicate a driver’s habit of making sharp cornering man oeuvres.
- Center tire wear often indicates that the tires are over-inflated. Riding on such rubber is dangerous due to bursts. Do not exceed the tire pressure. You can monitor the compliance of the actual indicator with the established standards using a conventional pressure gauge.
- Uneven tire wear may be the result of malfunctions in other parts of the vehicle. To begin with, service centers recommend aligning the wheels and balancing them. Also, it will not be superfluous to check the condition of the shock absorbers. A competent technician will quickly determine the cause of uneven tire wear, and find the best way to eliminate it.
- The contact patch may wear off unevenly due to any suspension problems. Comprehensive diagnostics will allow you to identify the cause of this phenomenon accurately.
- A jagged pattern appeared on the sides of the tire. As a rule, this occurs when the wheel is in uneven contact with the road surface. After alignment, the problem should disappear.
These are a few ways you can tell if you need your tires replaced. It doesn’t matter what kind of tires you have – passenger tires, high-performance tires, commercial light truck tires – they are all prone to wear and tear. If you have a hard time looking for light wears or in other words, if you have difficulty self-inspecting the health of your tires, getting it checked from a professional at the nearest service center is recommended for your own safety.